Monday, April 10, 2006

Aidan's birth story

I decided to post this because soon I will have another birth story and I want to see how they compare. It was 3 years ago, but lets see if I can remember all of it. LOL

I was due on the 18th, but nothing happened all day that day. I was living with my mom at the time and we lived out in the country about 30 minutes away from my hospital. Plus it was February and we were expecting snow. I was so uncomfortable and I really wanted to have Aidan out. I walked and ate and then just gave up and went to bed. Around 11 that night, I started getting braxton hicks contractions. They were irregular and I had had pleanty of them in the last few months so I was used to them. I just laid in bed and kept timing them so that if they got to a regular 10 minutes apart, then we would leave for the hospital. I timed them until 2am and they were 15-18 minutes apart and none of them hurt.

Well I fell asleep and woke up fine the next morning. I had an appointment at 8:30 so we left the house early and got McDonalds and then stopped by mom's work office to tell them she was going to be late. We went into the doctors office and he checked me and I was 2 cm dialated and he decided that I could go that day. He stripped my membranes, which is very uncool. I felt like he was testing my tonsils through the wrong end. Then he sent me over to the L&D. When I got all checked in, we called my DH, who was then just my BF. We told him not to hurry cause it was probly going to take a while.

They hooked me up to a belt to watch for contrax and monitor baby's HB. The nurses came in around 11am and said that I should try walking around or whatever I could to get my contractions going stronger and more. So I walked around the floor. There were no babies in the nursery to look at. There was another girl having a baby in the room next to mine. The funny thing is that the night before, I went to my first childbirthing class. I had to work when they had the first round of classes and the second round started on my due date, but the lady teaching the classes was the mom of one of my high school friends and she said I had to come if I hadnt already had the baby. We watched all the videos and saw all the contraptions that could be used. Then we took a tour of the mommy floor. The room they had open to show us was the exact same room I was in for my labor. It was a great room with a fold out couch and recliners and a jaccuzi tub.

Well after my uneventful walk, I decided to take a dip in the ol jaccuzi. I mean how often do you get to have a great bath? I sat in there for about an hour. Then the nurse checked me again and I was at 4 cm. At about 5pm DH was there and had told all of his family so they were all showing up too. The contrax were starting to hurt a little so they hooked me up to an IV and gave me a little pain shot along with some Pitocin. At about 6pm I was only 5cm so the doc came in and broke my water and then the pain really got worse. So mom got me the nice epidural man. She was totally flirting with him and I was in tons of pain, but he got the job done and then I wanted to flirt with him. That was at about 8pm.

So the epidural really helped me relax and I got to 10cm at about 10:30pm. I had my mom on one side and DH on the other side holding up my legs and I pushed for almost an hour. They had to give me an episiotomy cause the doc said it would help him come out. He finally came out at 11:28 pm. They laid him on my stomach for a few minutes while mom and DH decided who was going to cut the cord and finally my mom did it. Then the nurse took him and held him upside down and measured him and wrapped him up.

There was a student doctor in with my doctor and she stitched me up. She was doing the stitches and the doc and nurses were watching and she says, "How's that?" and the doc said, "It looks beautiful." And I was like, "Yeah frickin fabuolus crotch isn't it? Can I have my baby now?" and everyone laughed at me and then finally gave me my baby back. He weighed 7lbs and 9oz and was 20.5inches long. The doc said that my son was, "hung like an italian stallion." That is something I needed to know about my just born son. Then my doc asked if I wanted him circumsized and I said yes and he said he would be back to check on me tomorrow, and he left.

I know I will definitely get another epidural this time. I dont know if there was anything that I hated about the delivery. I think having a really great student doc do my stitches was a good thing cause she really was great at it. I could tell she really wanted to be a good doctor. I think maybe this time I will just have DH and my sister in the room with me cause DH really didnt like being pushed around by my mom. She basically made herself first in line for everything and he felt like a third wheel. He is definitely going to be more ready for everything this time.

1 comments from beautiful people!:

Tuesday Girl said...

What a nice story, cute kid too!